Improving On-Farm Drainage Management to Reduce the Impacts of Climate Change in Delta, BC [fi13]
|Region||Delta, Fraser Valley|
|Status||completed in 2017|
|Project Lead||UBC Faculty of Land & Food Systems|
|Funding Partners||Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, BC Ministry of Agriculture, agriculture producers|
|Other Partners||Delta Farmers' Institute, Delta Farmland & Wildlife Trust|
Download and read the project summary as a PDF: Delta Drainage Study Lays Groundwork for Climate Adaptation.
Precipitation patterns in BC’s Fraser delta are expected to continue to shift with an increase in winter precipitation and extreme precipitation events. This has the potential to reduce the number of “workable” days for agricultural production (due to excess moisture on agricultural land), shorten growing or harvest season and/or delay planting. The changing precipitation patterns may also increase flooding and associated risk of crop loss. Increased salinization of productive soils in Delta is also a growing concern associated with climate change.
This project will demonstrate and evaluate on-farm strategies for addressing drainage and salinity problems. At two fields (with known drainage and salinity issues) three drainage management options will be installed each with three treatments of cover. Thirty additional fields (with seven producer cooperators) will be monitored and assessed for efficacy of range of drainage management practices including cleaning and maintenance on drainage tile systems.
Monitoring and data analysis related to these demonstrations will lead to updated factsheets on: drainage design criteria and recommendations, cost benefit estimates for new installations compared to maintenance, and cost benefit estimates of integrating cover crops or grassland set asides into drainage management strategies.
Sharing and transferring of results will include field days, updating of written materials (drainage manual, fact sheets) and a project website.
See also the related Regional Project: Delta – Drainage & Sub-irrigation Project.
- Digital Soil Mapping of Soil Workability in Delta, BC (2017 factsheet) (1 MB pdf)
- Evaluation of Drain Spacing & Ditch Pumps in Existing Drainage Systems in Delta, BC (2017 factsheet) (1 MB pdf)
- Impacts of Tile Drain Cleaning Over One year in Delta, BC (2017 factsheet) (617 KB pdf)
- Improving On-Farm Drainage Management to Reduce the Impacts of Climate Change in Delta, BC (2017 report) (11 MB pdf)
- Predicting Soil Water Content & Number of Workable Days Under Changing Climate Using DRAINMOD Model in Delta, BC (2017 factsheet) (594 KB pdf)