Farm Adaptation Innovator Program (2018–2023)
Updated November 1, 2018, 9am:
The second round of applications are now open (closing November 30).
- Review the Farm Adaptation Innovator Program Guide (2018–2023) (680 KB pdf) and we recommend viewing the Priorities for Agricultural Adaptation Research in BC (2018 summary & listings) (2 MB zip).
- If your project meets the eligibility criteria, complete the Expression of Interest online form.
- Submit your EOI form by the deadline:
- Round 1
- Opened — September 19, 2018
- Closed — October 12, 2018 at 5pm PST
- Round 2
- Opened — November 1, 2018
- Closes — November 30, 2018 at 5pm PST
- Round 1
- You will receive an email auto-response confirming receipt of your EOI form within 48 hours. If you do not receive this message, please contact the FAIP Coordinator.
- EOI submissions will be reviewed and all applicants will receive notification of decisions. Only select applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal (notification and application deadlines are provided below).
For assistance, or more information, please contact FAIP Coordinator Shauna MacKinnon, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-307-8091.
Objectives & Eligibility Criteria
The Farm Adaptation Innovator Program (FAIP) seeks to build adaptive capacity and encourage the adoption of effective farm practices to help mitigate impacts related to climate change by supporting projects that:
- Promote innovation in farm practices, approaches and technologies that support climate change adaptation
- Demonstrate farm practices that reduce weather related production risks, and identify new production opportunities
- Develop informational and knowledge sharing resources and support increased sector capacity to support adaptation
Project types supported through the program include applied research, pilots, demonstrations, and adoption facilitation. Projects may be local, regional or provincial in scope. The resulting knowledge, practice, technology or approach must be applicable at a farm-level scale by an individual farm operator.
Funding is available to support projects in four different farm practice categories:
- Soil and Crop Management (includes horticulture, orchards, viticulture, seeded forage and forage grown for seed)
- Livestock, Pasture and Range Management (includes livestock water)
- Water Management
- Whole Farm and Business Management
FAIP projects must include effectiveness monitoring and a knowledge transfer plan. Prospective applicants should consider these requirements when developing project partnerships.
For examples of previous projects, including project descriptions and deliverables, please see our Farm Adaptation Innovator Program (2013–2018) webpage.
- Individual BC agri-foods sector producers or groups of BC agri-foods sector producers
- BC agri-food industry associations/organizations
- Input, technology, support and advisory services providers
- Academic institutions and/or other organizations and private sector businesses
- BC First Nation governments, organizations, individuals and corporations
- BC local governments, including regional districts and municipalities
- The Farm Adaptation Innovator Program will prioritize multi-year projects of up to four years (up to January 31, 2023).
- The program will fund up to 80% of the total project cash costs within the project funding caps (may fund up to 100% of the total project cash costs of highly ranked projects based on the evaluation components).
- Program funding per project is limited to $75,000 annually, with a project lifetime cap of $225,000 for multi-year projects.
- Proposals for continued monitoring for previous FAIP projects will be considered.
Intake Timelines: Round 1
- September 19, 2018 — Call for Expressions of Interest opens; Updated FAIP guide available
- October 12, 2018 — EOI Round 1 closes
- November 1, 2018 — Selected applicants invited to submit full applications
- December 12, 2018 — Deadline for full applications
Intake Timelines: Round 2
- November 1, 2018 — Call for Expressions of Interest opens
- November 30, 2018 — EOI Round 2 closes
- December 19, 2018 — Selected applicants invited to submit full applications
- February 13, 2019 — Deadline for full applications
The dates above are estimated and subject to change.