Request for Proposals: Okanagan Wildfire Pre-Season Communications & Information Exchange Pilot Project
The Southern Interior Stockmen’s Association (SISA) is seeking proposals for a contractor to work with local producer associations, the Regional District of the Okanagan Similkameen (RDOS) and other local partners to develop and pilot a wildfire communications protocol to guide communications between the Regional District and their agricultural residents during the wildfire season.
The successful proponent will be required to plan and host a series of information exchange meetings (8 total) to strengthen relationships between agricultural groups and wildfire response agencies that will support a shift to collaborative and proactive wildfire communication. These information exchanges will be used to provide clear, accurate and agriculturally focused information to producers about wildfire risk and wildfire response processes/procedures and to develop and implement a wildfire communications protocol for RDOS.
This project includes:
- Development of materials to support pre-season and post-season communication meetings
- Development and implementation of a wildfire communications protocol customized for the Regional District Okanagan Similkameen (developed with input from stakeholders and agricultural producers)
- Development and implementation of an outreach strategy (to invite representatives from key agricultural organizations [within RDOS] to meeting)
- Planning and hosting of pre-season information exchange meetings (4 meetings: 2 locations each year) and post-season communication debrief meetings (4 meetings: 2 locations each year)
- Development of a shareable resource(s) (e.g., bulletin and/or other resources to highlight key information) to circulate broadly to all producers in RDOS
- Preparation of a Summary report (including sample resources that can be used by other Regional Districts to develop their own wildfire communications protocol)
This project fulfills a priority action of the Okangan Adaptation Strategies and will enhance the ability of producers in the Okanagan to adapt to the impacts of climate change. All work will be overseen by a committee that includes representatives from SISA, the BC Agriculture & Food Climate Action Committee (CAI), RDOS, the BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development and the BC Ministry of Agriculture.
The successful contractor will have a minimum of 3 years experience with wildfire issues, and at least one team member will have extensive experience with supporting collaboration, workshop/process design and small group facilitation. At least one team member with experience developing and implementing strategies and processes to improve communication flows.
The contract runs from February 2019 to November 2020.