Cariboo – Agricultural Pest Identification & Management Tools for the Cariboo [cb13]
|Status||completed in 2020|
|Project Lead||Invasive Species Council of BC|
|Funding Partners||Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, BC Ministry of Agriculture, Invasive Species Council of BC|
|Other Partners||BC Ministry of Agriculture, Kersley Farmers' Institute, Cariboo Cattlemen Association, Cariboo Growers, Cariboo Regional District|
This project developed a series of informational resources – including webinars, fact sheets and youth-focused materials – to help producers identify and manage priority agricultural pests in the Cariboo region.
As temperatures warm, particularly winter temperatures, the range and prevalence of pests, diseases and invasive species is anticipated to shift, with the potential for an increase in existing problem pests and the introduction of new species into the region.
This project applied the findings from an earlier CAI project that assessed threat levels for existing and emerging pests and identified both priority pests and informational gaps/needs.
This project supported increased pest monitoring and identification of problem species by:
- delivering a workshop and two webinars, teaching identification skills and management options for specific pests
- developing and sharing informational materials targeting producer associations and youth groups
- encouraging identification and reporting of agriculture pests via improvements to a phone app, and addition of Cariboo-specific resources to the app, developed by the Invasive Species Council of BC
The project also produced two webinars:
- Responding to Agricultural Weeds in the Cariboo (2020 webinar recording) and PDF slide deck
- Grasshoppers of Concern to the Cariboo’s Agriculture Sector (2019 webinar recording) and PDF slide deck
- Cariboo – Agricultural Pest Identification & Management Tools for the Cariboo (2020 project summary) (618 KB pdf)
- Cariboo – Agriculture, Invasive Species and the Cariboo (2020 youth guide) (4 MB pdf)
- Cariboo – Pests: Agricultural Alert Species for the Cariboo Region (2020 factsheet) (1 MB pdf)
- Cariboo – Pests: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (2020 factsheet) (622 KB pdf)
- Cariboo – Pests: Perennial Pepperweed (2020 factsheet) (830 KB pdf)