Fraser Valley – Enhancing Information and Collaboration for Managing Emerging Pests [fv05]
|Status||completed in 2018|
|Project Lead||Lower Mainland Horticulture Improvement Association|
|Funding Partners||Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, BC Ministry of Agriculture, Raspberry Industry Development Council, BC Blueberry Council, Dairy Industry Research and Education Committee|
The previously completed Fraser Valley – Agricultural Pest (Activities, Gaps & Priorities) Assessment project produced a comprehensive inventory documenting recent and on-going pest-related research and management activities across the agriculture sector in the Fraser Valley. The inventory also captured priorities and emerging pest issues for each commodity. The Enhancing Information and Collaboration for Managing Emerging Pests project began by completing an analysis of inventory findings to select pest for a series of targeted planning sessions and development of resources. The inventory analysis confirmed two pests (Helminths and Spotted Wing Drosophila) for the focus of two cross-commodity planning sessions with experts, specialists and industry leaders. The analysis also confirmed seven topics for a series of fact sheets addressing a diverse selection of emerging pests (see attached fact sheets).
The intention of the planning sessions was to facilitate collaboration between producer groups with shared pest issues. These session defined research, monitoring and management gaps, and also initiated actions for collaboration. Seven new fact sheets were developed to distribute information about emerging pests. These fact sheets are being distributed broadly to expand awareness and knowledge of priority pests and their management.
The final element of the project was to hold a year-end “annual” cross-commodity gathering in December 2017 to provide an update on the project activities, and to update the inventory. 30 new projects were added to the inventory since it was completed in December 2016. This session engaged the entire agriculture sector in the Fraser Valley to build momentum around collaboration and to set the stage for future focus groups and annual meetings.
- Fraser Valley – Darkling Beetle (2018 factsheet) (1,015 KB pdf)
- Fraser Valley – Downy Mildew (2018 factsheet) (1 MB pdf)
- Fraser Valley – Important Agricultural Weeds (2018 factsheet) (1 MB pdf)
- Fraser Valley – Spotted Wing Drosophila (2018 factsheet) (1,019 KB pdf)
- Fraser Valley – Weevils in Berry Crops (2018 factsheet) (888 KB pdf)
- Fraser Valley – Weevils in Nursery & Floriculture (2018 factsheet) (902 KB pdf)
- Fraser Valley – Western Corn Rootworm (2018 factsheet) (956 KB pdf)
- Fraser Valley – Enhancing Information and Collaboration for Managing Emerging Pests (2018 report) (1,020 KB pdf)
- Fraser Valley – Pest Assessment Inventory Analysis (2018) (1 MB pdf)