Okanagan – Vineyard Water Use Efficiency & Knowledge Transfer Project
|Project Lead||BC Wine Grape Council|
|Funding Partners||Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, BC Ministry of Agriculture, BC Wine Grape Council|
As Okanagan summers become warmer and drier and precipitation patterns change, sustainable water management practices will support the agriculture sector’s resilience and competitiveness. This project is worked with the Okanagan wine grape sector to develop and deliver a suite of sustainable water management tools and resources, while creating a shared understanding of current issues and opportunities around sustainable water use.
The first phase of the project compiled existing research and knowledge — about vineyard soil water conservation and water use efficiency technologies and practices — into a State of Knowledge & Technology report. This report informed the development three fact sheets (on vineyard establishment and maintenance, the full cost of water and tools to validate eyes on the vine) all written in a non-technical style and designed to be practical and well-suited for field application.
The second phase of the project developed a simple (MS Excel-based) digital performance metric tool enables wine grape growers to benchmark, compare, and communicate their water use performance. The fact-sheets and performance metric tool were shared with grape growers through two field-day workshops hosted at local vineyards to showcase. The workshops also highlighted sustainable water use practices at the host sites.
The project summary report provides an assessment of lessons learned and an evaluation of the project process.
- Okanagan – Vineyard Establishment & Maintenance (2018 factsheet) (535 KB pdf)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Irrigation: The Full Cost of Water (2017 factsheet) (951 KB pdf)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Water Metric (2018 toolkit) (910 KB xlsx)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Water Metric Supplement (2018 toolkit) (475 KB xlsx)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Irrigation: Tools to Validate (2017 factsheet) (1 MB pdf)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Water-Use Efficiency: State of Knowledge & Technology (2018 report) (10 MB pdf)
- Okanagan - Vineyard Water-Use Efficiency: Project Summary & Evaluation (2018 report) (334 KB pdf)