Okanagan – Vineyard Water Use Efficiency & Knowledge Transfer Project
|Project Lead||BC Wine Grape Council|
|Funding Partners||Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, BC Ministry of Agriculture, BC Wine Grape Council|
As Okanagan summers become warmer and drier and precipitation patterns change, sustainable water management practices will support the agricultural sector’s resilience and competitiveness. This project is working with the Okanagan wine grape sector to develop and deliver a suite of sustainable water management tools and resources, while creating a shared understanding of current issues and opportunities around sustainable water use.
The first phase of the project will compile existing research and knowledge — about vineyard soil water conservation and water use efficiency technologies and practices — into a State of Knowledge & Technology report. This report will inform the development of guidance materials including fact sheets (or similar resource) that highlights case studies from the Okanagan and beyond. The materials will be written in a non-technical style – designed to be practical and well-suited for field application.
The second phase of the project will develop a simple digital performance metric tool that will enable wine grape growers to benchmark, compare, and communicate their water use performance. The guidance materials and performance metric tool will be delivered to the industry through a webinar, and two field-day workshops hosted at local vineyards to showcase sustainable water use practices at their sites.
A summary report will be prepared at the end of the project. The report will include an assessment of lessons learned and an evaluation of the project, including possible steps for adapting the approach and/or materials for other commodity groups.
- Okanagan – Vineyard Establishment & Maintenance (2018 factsheet) (535 KB pdf)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Irrigation: The Full Cost of Water (2017 factsheet) (951 KB pdf)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Irrigation: Tools to Validate (2017 factsheet) (1 MB pdf)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Water-Use Efficiency: State of Knowledge & Technology (2018 report) (10 MB pdf)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Water-Use Efficiency: State of Knowledge & Technology (2018 summary) (334 KB pdf)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Water Metric (2018 toolkit) (910 KB xlsx)
- Okanagan – Vineyard Water Metric Supplement (2018 toolkit) (475 KB xlsx)