Peace – Enhancing Pest Monitoring in the Peace [pc10]
|Status||approved: Apr 2020 to Dec 2022|
|Project Lead||Peace Region Forage Seed Association|
|Funding Partners||Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, BC Ministry of Agriculture|
This three-year project will expand the scope of collaborative pest monitoring in the Peace region by including a broader range of crops and commodities and increasing the number of monitoring sites and samples collected and locally processed.
Increasing average temperatures, especially warming winters, are changing the range and prevalence of pests, diseases, weeds and invasive species. Monitoring pest populations is critical for the agriculture sector to track changes – particularly the introduction of new species – and to identify and manage the impacts of species that can negatively impact crops.
This project will enable the expansion of monitoring through increased scouting and surveying for crop disease and the inclusion of horticultural crops that were not part of previous monitoring activities. It will also incorporate seasonal updates/alerts.
This project will:
- enhance agricultural pest monitoring capacity
- expand the scope of monitoring activities
- increase knowledge transfer and producer uptake/application of information
- analyze the relationship between pest presence and weather conditions
- develop a funding and sustainability plan